“Agriculture is the most important profession and business in the world.” With over 7 billion people in the world eating food, agriculture works hard to feed the world. Here are 12 more facts you need to know about the impact of Agriculture in 2020.
- Livestock farming employs 1.3 billion people.
- 40% of today’s global population works in agriculture, making it the single largest employer in the world.
- Approximately 56% of agricultural production worldwide comes from family farms.
- Pork accounts for over 42% of total meat consumed, making it the world’s most widely-eaten meat.
- The number one fruit crop in the world is bananas.
- Sugar cane accounts for roughly 21% of the food commodities produced in the world (top 50).
- It takes a combined 9 seconds to harvest enough wheat to make 70 loaves of bread.
- A family of 4 could live for 10 years off the bread produced by one acre of wheat.
- Farmers grow corn on every continent except Antarctica.
- One acre of potatoes will produce 52,000 servings of French Fries.
- China is the largest producer of eggs, with 160 billion eggs per year.
- A person will eat an average of 35 tons of food in his or her lifetime, or about 1,500 lbs of food a year.
The critical importance of agriculture to our society and the industry’s contributions to our economy can not be overemphasized.
We can say Agriculture is the backbone of society. Agriculture supplies the food and fiber that feeds you, me, and the rest of the world. I hope you will welcome farmers, support them…and most importantly, take part in what they do.
One way you can do this is to become an agrovestor right here on our platform.